A celebration of October's bounty, in Savor
Harvest is wrapping up for all the summer grown food. Halloween and its treats approaches, and Thanksgiving is not far away.
Food stylist Will Smith produces Savor, our monthly food segment. This episode features Andy Myer of Goldback Wines and Catalyst Wine Collective.
The Collective brings together Goldback and two other small operations, Ryan Rose Wines and Sound & Vision Wine Company, in a shared tasting room.
We learn about the birth of the operation from Andy Myer, and Will provides a recipe for mussels prepared in white wine--in this case, Goldback Chenin Blanc.
Mussels with Goldback Chenin Blanc
3 pounds of fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
½ cups salted butter
8 garlic cloves, sliced
1 chili, bird, serrano or jalapeño, sliced thin
2 cups Goldback Chenin Blanc
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
½ tsp chili flake
1 baguette sliced and toasted for dipping into broth
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, fresh and dried chilies; stir.
- Add wine and lemon juice, simmer for a few minutes.
- Add mussels, simmer until all shells are open. Discard unopened mussels.
- Reduce broth to intensify flavor. Add parley and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in shallow bowls, pour broth over and serve with toasts.