Savor: Down On The Farm (At SOU)
The big agricultural college in Oregon is Oregon State University, which not only teaches all kinds of farm and ranch practices, but runs the statewide extension service.
Just the same, you can find students learning about agriculture at Southern Oregon University, at The Farm at SOU. The operation not only grows many kinds of produce, it sells them through a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) subscription service.
Our monthly food segment, Savor, focuses on The Farm this time around. Food stylist and producer Will Smith visited The Farm and was astonished at the productivity and variety packed into five acres of land.
Will returns with Dr. Vincent Smith, the director of the farm project.
This month's recipe, Crunchy Lemon and Garlic Green Beans:
2 pounds green beans, yellow wax or sugar snaps - blanched till bright green and tender.
Toss the beans or peas in a bowl with one tablespoon of olive oil, set aside.
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 large clove Garlic minced
3/4 Cup Panko or fresh breadcrumbs
Zest from one lemon
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add the tablespoon of olive oil, minced garlic and Panko.
- Shake skillet until ingredients are toasted and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add zest and Parmesan, stir to mix , drizzle with lemon juice.
- Place beans on a plate or platter and sprinkle on topping.
- Topping has multiple uses; sprinkle over vegetables, pasta, salad or grilled fish, for an added crunch.