We Are What We Eat: Savor And The Organic Orchard
Pears made the Rogue Valley famous, thanks to Harry & David and the Fruit-of-the-Month Club.
But plenty of other fruits grow here. And Valley View Orchard grows several varieties, from peaches to wine grapes.
Every month our food segment, Savor, brings in food stylist and producer Will Smith.
And this month Will brings in Kathy O'Leary from Valley View to talk about the orchard's organic output and how it is sold.
Will's recipe of the month features a peach crisp made with peaches just now ripening in the valley.
Join us for a chat that may tickle your taste buds, despite the audio-only delivery.
Will's Recipe of the Month: Peach Crisp
For the filling:
3 lbs peaches pitted and cut into ½” slices
2 Tbs lemon juice
⅔ Cup sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
½ tsp vanilla extract
⅛ tsp salt
For the topping:
¾ Cup brown sugar
¾ Cup flour
½ Cup rolled oats
⅔ Cup pecans chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 stick butter (½ Cup) at room temp
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Butter a 2 qt baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine peaches, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and salt. Mix well.
- Make the topping: in a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add softened butter, using your fingers to create a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer peaches to prepared baking dish, sprinkle topping evenly over top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.