Wrapping Fire Week 2: How To Help And Get Help
The last two weeks have felt like two decades for a lot of people. Now the local residents who had to evacuate but did not lose their homes are returning.
But the people who were not so lucky need a lot of attention now, and will for quite a while into the future.
We return our focus to the fires in this hour of the program, opening the phone lines to talk about relief efforts... as small as your street, as big as the whole region.
Here's what came in today:
- For immediate needs, the Red Cross is recommended by federal agencies, including FEMA: https://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-work/disaster-relief.html
- Apply for FEMA help, even if you got nothing more than some smoke damage, FEMA will sort out eligibility. Apply at:
- FEMA app for smartphones
- call 800-621-3362
- HUD has several housing programs that could help people who've lost homes:
- FHA Mortgages 800-CALL-FHA (800-225-5342)
- Fire Damage: Vanessa in Portland office 971-222-2603
- Other assistance: Julian in Portland 971-222-2600
- If you need to replace Oregon driver's license and other documents: DMV2U.Oregon.gov
- Ashland Disaster Assistance Line: 541-552-2500 or email@example.com
- United Ways of the Pacific Northwest banding together for fire relief efforts: https://www.uwpnw.org/wildfire
- United Way Fire Fund in Jackson County