Election Highlights: GMO Bans And Library Levy Win
A measure to ban crops containing genetically modified organisms (GMO) won easy passage in Jackson County in Tuesday's primary election.
A similar measure in Josephine County also won handily.
Jackson County Measure 15-119 was the focus of a fierce battle between organic farmers and their supporters on one side and state Farm Bureaus on the other.
It was no contest in the end; voters went by a two-to-one margin for the YES side on the measure.
Josephine County Measure 17-58, another GMO ban, also passed easily, 58%-42%.
Other unofficial election highlights:
- Jackson County Library District, Measure 15-122, YES won, 55%-45%
- Josephine County Jail Levy, Measure 17-59, NO won, 52%-48%
- Jackson County Sheriff, Corey Falls leads incumbent Mike Winters and Bob Sergi; current returns would put Falls and Winters into a runoff in the November election
- Josephine County Sheriff, Dave Daniel leads incumbent Gil Gilbertson and Edward Vincent; current returns would put Daniel and Gilbertson into a runoff in November
- Jackson County Extension District, Measure 15-121, YES won, 75%-25%