Conrad Wilson
Oregon Public BroadcastingConrad Wilson is a reporter and producer covering criminal justice and legal affairs for OPB. Prior to coming to OPB, he was a reporter at Minnesota Public Radio. Before that he ran the news department at an NPR affiliate in Colorado. His work has aired on Marketplace and NPR's Morning Edition and All Things Considered. He has also written for Mashable, The Oregonian, Business Week, City Pages and The Christian Science Monitor. Conrad earned a degree in international political economics and journalism from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
-
More than 900 cases in Multnomah County and another 260 in Washington County meet the criteria to be dismissed, according to the Oregon Judicial Department.
-
The decision leaves in place a permanent injunction from November that blocked troops from deploying to Portland.
-
The ruling could force the dismissal of more than 1,400 criminal cases.
-
In his ruling, U.S. District Court Judge Michael Simon said that the judiciary has a “responsibility that it may not shirk.”
-
Scores of nonviolent protesters were hit with chemical munitions during a union-backed rally Saturday.
-
The Department of Homeland Security said its agent shot at gang members in self-defense. Still, hundreds protested at Portland’s ICE facility, and hundreds more held a vigil at City Hall.
-
The troops were part of the Trump administration’s plan to support immigration enforcement operations.
-
A remote corner of southeast Oregon was the backdrop when a group of armed, anti-government militants took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters on Jan. 2, 2016.
-
As President Donald Trump’s legal fight to deploy the National Guard in Portland enters its third month, the blistering pace of emergency motions and expedited hearings has slowed — at least for now. Here's where things stand.
-
Four of the state’s top lawyers are “highly concerned” about immigration officers stopping a group of teenagers at gunpoint in October and, last week, arresting a high school student on his lunch break.
-
Earlier on Wednesday, Gov. Tina Kotek announced the Oregon guard troops would be demobilized. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals put that on pause just over an hour later.
-
The Trump administration asked a federal appeals court late Sunday to immediately place a hold on a court ruling preventing the president from sending National Guard troops to Portland.