Spontaneous Combustion Caused Oregon Hay Fire
The Oregon Fire Marshal has ruled that the fire that burned a $1.5 million hay harvest early Friday evening was caused by spontaneous combustion, Junction City Fire Capt. Jason Peterson said Sunday.
All fire units left the property about 3 miles northwest of downtown Junction City on Ferguson Road late Sunday morning, Peterson said.
Owners of the Bounds Hay Co. property have a water truck on the premises and will continue to monitor the fire scene, Peterson said. Smoldering from the fire “is going to go on for a long time, probably more than a week,” Peterson said.
Peterson said he can’t recall working a bigger fire during his nearly 15 years with the Junction City department.
Read more at The Register-Guard.