As It Was: Bandon Opens Its First Golf Course in 1928
Within a year of tossing around the idea, Bandon had its first golf course.
The Chamber of Commerce initiated the idea at a meeting on June 9, 1927, and a group of golf enthusiasts formed a committee to investigate possibilities.
By the end of the month, the committee invited interested golfers to an open meeting to discuss the idea. Next, a motivated group of local golf fans visited six possible course sites and organized themselves as the Bandon Golf Association.
In July, a well-known golf architect, Lee Smith, offered his assistance. With his guidance, the organizers purchased suitable property that spanned both sides of Johnson Creek where it flows into the ocean.
Construction began in October with 15 crew members and three teams of horses. Within 24 days, the crews completed heavy grading and spread grass seed on the grounds.
The winner of a name-suggestion contest, the Westernmost, officially opened in June 1928 as a nine-hole golf course.
Due to an increase of competition in the area, it closed 86 years later in 2014.
Source: Proehl, Jim. "Westernmost-Bandon's First Golf Course." Bandon Historical Society Museum, https://www.bandonhistoricalmuseum.org/westmost.html