Passenger Train Stops in 1955 between Ashland and Portland, Ore.
The Southern Pacific’s Rogue River Special provided passenger service between Ashland and Portland, Ore., from 1887 to 1955. The train left Ashland at 6:30 p.m., making 36 stops along the way. The trip took 12 hours and 55 minutes with an average speed of 26.5 mph, including stops. On the return trip, the train stopped 31 times and took 13 hours and 35 minutes to reach Ashland.
The Rogue River Special was part of Southern Pacific’s Siskiyou Line. Passengers had access to standard sleeper cars with sections, bedrooms, and a drawing room. A snack lounge offered minimum meal service, and chair cars had pillows available for a small charge.
The passenger service continued through World War II into the 1950s, but the number of riders diminished to only 18 to 20 a day, and the Southern Pacific shifted service to a new line through Klamath Falls.
At 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 6, 1955, the Rogue River Special started its final run, becoming the last passenger train to serve Jackson County. By July of 1956 all passenger service on the Siskiyou Line was ended and replaced by a bus route.
Sources: Bowen, Eric H. "Track 7—The Northwest and Pacific Coast." Streamliner Schedules. National Railway Pub. Co., 6 June 2009. Web. 10 Dec. 2013. Truwe, Ben. Jackson County Looking Back. Vol. II. Canada. Southern Oregon Media Group, 2012. 73. II vols. Print; Wheeler, Sam. "Return of the Rails." Daily Tidings [Ashland, Ore.] 26 June 2012. Web. 10 Dec 2013.