Stories And Available Services On Wind-Fire Thursday
The gusty wind stopped for much of the region at last on Wednesday night, September 9th. That was one bit of good news in an otherwise bleak landscape.
Hundreds of homes, possible more, have been destroyed by the fast-moving fires, with Phoenix and Talent especially hard-hit in Oregon, Happy Camp taking a heavy hit in California.
We set aside normal programming on the JX to just talk... talk about what we know, talk to people about where they can help or be helped, learn more details of fire damage and recovery efforts.
Below is a partial list of services mentioned in the two hours of the Exchange on Thursday, September 10th:
If you need help:
- Maslow Project based in Medford helps families with children in school deal with life without a permanent home. 541-608-6868.
- LDS Church offers shelter at 2305 Taylor Road, Central Point.
- First Presbyterian Church offers shelter at 85 S. Holly Street in Medford.
- New Life Church of the Nazarene offers shelter at 1984 E. McAndrews Road in Medford.
- North Medford High School, 1900 N. Keen Way Drive, plans to open as a shelter again Thursday night, September 10.
- Medford United Church of Christ set up shelter at 1801 E. Jackson Street.
- Ashland Emergency Food Bank offers no-means-test food assistance at 560 Clover Lane, Ashland, weekdays 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM. 541-488-9544.
- Siskiyou School offers needed items for distribution at the school, Thursday 2-6 PM.
To give help:
- To offer additional shelter space, contact the Homeless Task Force in Medford (Christine Quitt) or the City of Medford (Angela Durant).
- Cash donations will be matched up to a total of $50,000 by Rogue Credit Union's Fire Relief Fund.
- United Way of Jackson County is collecting donations.
- American Red Cross needs volunteers, money, and even blood.
- FOUND pets: in Jackson County, take to the Isola Memorial Arena at the Expo in Central Point. Shelter is not ready for help people with LOST pets just yet, and adoptions are suspended.
- Siskiyou School accepts donations to assist fire victims at the school, Thursday 2-6 PM and Friday 9 AM-5 PM.